Inside: Fun things for teens to do in the summer.
Are you wondering how your teens are going to stay busy all summer?
They could be busy on their electronics vegging out in front of a screen, but there are so many other things they could do. If you are like me the idea of a little screen time for teens is okay, but if that is what they are doing most of the summer it seems like a waste of a summer.
I’ve created a list of over 55 fun things for them to do this summer. Challenge them to come up with a summer bucket list of their own or share this list with them and see what interests them.
Fun Things for Families to Do with Teens
One of my favorite fun summer activities for teens is taking a family vacation. Summer vacations are a great opportunity to make family memories with teenagers.
Family vacations are wonderful opportunities to make memories whether you go to visit extended family, explore new places or go back to a favorite place trips take us out of our day to day life and give us an opportunity to learn new things.
Remember you only have 18 summers with your kids and then they will be out of high school and probably out of the house.
Another great way to make every summer count is to go on a day trip. State parks are great places to go for a swim, a hike or try geocaching. Many state parks also rent bikes, kayaks, or canoes, so it is an inexpensive way to try some new activities.
Growing a garden and putting up food for the winter is a frugal hobby and you will remember picking and canning your bounty when you enjoy eating it next winter.
- Go Camping this gives you many opportunities to make memories and if you choose a place with no service for their cellphones think of the quality time you will have together.
- Visit grandparents, summer is a fantastic time for family reunions.
- Try fishing, if you don’t have a rod and reel try this solution. All you need is some fishing line, a pop can, a hook and a bobber.
- Go Tubing
- Watch a movie
- Make Smores
- Go on a bike ride
- Take a road trip
- Visit a state park
- Visit a National Park
- Make a photo album of your adventures
- Plant a garden
- Pick berries or apples at a fruit farm
- Make jelly or jam
- Make & can salsa or spaghetti sauce
- Have Christmas in July
- Go backpacking
- Watch a major league baseball game
- Play Beat the Parents
- Go on a picnic
- Learn how to can fruits and vegetables
Fun Things for Teens to Do at Home
On those rainy days in the summer you need a fun activity for teens that they can do inside.
- Play a board game
- Draw a picture
- Make a bucket list of 100 things to do in your life
- Put a jigsaw puzzle together
- Bake cookies
- Make a quilt
- Write a story
- Read a book
- Cook a meal
- Try Doodle Crate Save 30% On Your First Month’s Box with code SHARE30
- Try Tinker Crate Save 30% On Your First Month’s Box
If you decide to sign up for Tinker Crate or Doodle Crate sign up for Ebates first right now you will get an additional 7.5 % off.
If you want even more ideas or have younger kids check out 42 Activities to Do with Kids at Home.
Easy DIY & Crafts for Teens
A fun activity for teens in the summer is to get started making Christmas gifts or even birthday gifts for friends and family.
Usually, teens have more time for gift-making in the summer than they will once school starts. Wouldn’t that be a great feeling if you were almost done with Christmas shopping in September, because your teens helped you make Christmas gifts all summer?
- Make bath bombs
- Spray chalk
- Try candle making
- Make origami
- Make soap
- Create clay charms
- Make your own mini erasers
- Create with Duct tape
Find even more great craft ideas here.
Things for Teens to Do with Friends
- Play volleyball
- Play bocce ball
- Fly a kite
- Play baseball or softball
- Play soccer
- Go geocaching
- Run a 5K
- Play basketball
- Play Mafia
- Go to an amusement park
- Make a music video
- Act in a play
- Have a water balloon or squirt gun fight
- Play frisbee golf
- Have a bonfire
- Go bowling
- Go rollerblading
- Go for a swim at a lake or local swimming pool
Try having a family meeting and decide as a family some of the family activities to put on the list. If there are things your kids want to try alone or with their friends help make sure they have the supplies they need to make it easier for them.
What are some of your favorite things to do in the summer? This would be a great summer to share that activity with your teens. I will add to the list as I get more ideas from you.